Easy Entertaining: Make-Ahead Entrée.
The slow cooker is a fantastic kitchen tool to make entertaining easy and get you out of the kitchen when you have guests over. This recipe for Spicy Asian Short Ribs will wow you with flavor, the meat litterally falls off the bone.
About 25 minutes worth of prep in the morning and you will have a stunner centerpiece to any Asian-themed meal. It couldn’t be easier:
Brown the short ribs.
|Spicy Asian Slow Cooker Short Ribs||
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 pounds beef short ribs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (14 oz) can reduced sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon five spice powder
- 3 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. In batches, brown short ribs, about 2 to 3 minutes per side adding additional oil if necessary. Cut short ribs between rib bones; place in slow cooker.
- Add onion to skillet and sauté until soft and beginning to golden, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Add beef broth to skillet, scraping up all browned bits on bottom of pan; cook until liquid is reduced by one third, about 5 minutes. Add soy sauce, sriracha sauce, brown sugar, and five spice powder, stir until brown sugar is dissolved.
- Pour onion mixture over short ribs. Cover and cook in slow cooker on low setting for 8 to 9 hours.
- Spoon short ribs over cooked rice; garnish with scallions.